Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Some Interesting Facts About Thailand

Currently there are 3,912 7-11's in Thailand, or rather jet-sip et's (which is how I prefer to call them, but I don't think Thais like it when I do that it literally means seven-eleven in Thai). They are more densely packed than Starbucks' on a corner in any big US city. There are two across the street from each other in my apartment complex. It doesn't make sense, but many things in life don't.

On a similar note, grocery stores are not common in Thailand, and most people do their everyday shopping either at 7-11 or day/night markets. The US mindset of stocking up on food for a long period of time is not considered as much in Thailand, although it seems as if times are changing as big box stores started popping up across certain areas of Bangkok.

Bangmod is the name of my neighborhood in Bangkok. Quite literally, the meaning translates to many ants. If you come to our apartment, you might understand this phenomenon.

Now that I have finished midterms, I am headed to Ko Chang, an island in the Gulf of Thailand for an extended weekend. It should be fun, I'm looking forward to the beach and apparently there are some hikes in the interior of the island to see some waterfalls. Hopefully I won't get too sunburned. We are trying to leave really early tomorrow morning and catch the first bus out of Bangkok...until then

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Interesting facts! I like to hear about everyday life in Bangkok.

    Aunt Betty

    ReplyDelete